What is Tethered Shooting?
Put simply tethered shooting allows you to connect your camera to your computer, enabling you to view your images as you take them. This is crucial to keeping your workflow efficient and seamless during a photoshoot and is vital when collaborating with a client or a team.
We welcomed Tether Tools to our range of photographic equipment last year. If you are new to tethered shooting, you might be surprised at the many different solutions Tether Tools have to offer, and how they can help with your photographic workflow.
Why Should I Shoot Tethered?
Tethered shooting is beneficial for various types of photography, from product photography to landscape photography, and Tether Tools offer a huge variety of solutions to suit every purpose. Shooting tethered is vital when working with clients, or if you are working as a team, as it allows you to collaborate on the final result during the photoshoot, which can be a huge time saver. Keep reading to see our top recommended tethered solutions for whatever type of photography you do.
Food & Product Photography
When it comes to food and product photography, detail is everything. Without tethering you have to rely on the small preview screen in your camera to check your images. By tethering to a colour calibrated monitor, you can ensure the lighting is right, the subject is presenting how you or the client wants it to, and fundamentally, whether the colour is correct, which is crucial for product photography.
- TetherPro USB cables for reliable image transfer
- Tether Tools StrapMoore to protect power bricks and cables during your shoot
- A Tether Table to allow you to easily collaborate with clients
- Tether Tools ONsite USB-C 87W PD Battery Pack to keep you powered on location
Outdoor & Landscape Photography
If you’re shooting outdoors, it goes without saying that wireless options are invaluable. Thanks to Tether Tools’ wireless solutions, tethering doesn’t have to be reserved for indoor locations. The ability to view exactly what you are capturing at that moment is vital to landscape photography when time is of the essence, and often, weather conditions can make it even more difficult to rely on your cameras’ screen to view your images.
Recommended products for Outdoor & Landscape Photography:
- Air Direct Wireless Tethering system to keep you tethered on the go
- Aero Sunshine & Tether table allowing you to view your monitor even in bright sunlight and to help protect from wind and rain
- Case Relay System & Portable Battery Pack to keep you powered wherever your shoot takes you
Portrait photography is often another scenario where you might work closely with the client. Again, the ability to tether to a larger monitor is crucial for allowing your client (or subject) to view the images during the shoot. Any changes can easily be made, saving time on the post edit.
You may wish to go for a wireless tethering solution with portrait photography, as this can reduce the number of wires running across your studio floor – useful when working with people.
Recommended products for Portrait Photography:
- Air Direct Wireless Tethering system
- Aero Table to help you share images during the shoot
- Tether Tools ONsite USB-C 87W PD Battery Pack to keep you powered
- Capture One or Smart Shooter software to view the images as you shoot them
Wedding & Event Photography
When shooting an event or wedding, you only have one chance to capture the moment. The last thing you want is to discover that your camera wasn’t colour calibrated, or the lighting was wrong, without the chance to recapture special moments. The ability to view images clearly when shooting events is an undeniable advantage and will help you to ensure that both you and your client is happy with the final results.
Recommended products for Wedding & Event Photography:
- Air Direct Wireless Tethering System to keep you tethered without the need for dragging cables around a venue
- Tether Tools StrapMoore to protect power bricks as you shoot
- Tether Tools ONsite D-Tap to AC Power Supply to keep your camera and computer powered for the entire event
If you’re looking to get started with Tether Tools, the Starter Tethering Kits are suitable for anyone new to tethering. You’ll find everything you need in these kits, but if you’d like to find out more, feel free to get in touch and speak to our technical support team!